elb's hovel of thoughts

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Foie Gras

When I was browsing around London during my last trip, on impulse I bought myself a small quantity of foie gras. For those with blur faces, it literally translates as 'fatty liver', and typically refers to ahem, oversized, liver of geese and ducks. Geese is the way to go, both gastronomically and bankrupt-wise. We'll let the SPCA and various other organizations debate over the issues of oversized livers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The glass jar of goose foie gras

It was a pretty solid and heavy glass jar; the lid and main container had a rubber gasket in between to help minimize contamination.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The top view with red gasket visible.

Then it was time to open it. I almost felt like throwing up with the combination of the decayed wrinkled cheese beancurd texture and pungent smell. There were small globules of what I initially thought was mold at first; but I managed to convince myself that it was fat globules or something. Its supposed to be a fatty liver, after all?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Feel the fat ooze out at you, all 40grams of it. No its not yellow in colour. Lighting conditions.

This is my second encounter with foie gras. Also the first time I have ate it in a few years (the first encounter was rather... weird); so the first time I had to disguise it into a meal of chicken vermicelli (pasta, not rice). But I soon got used to it, and actually began to enjoy it simply by having it with slices of olive oil grilled bread.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The livelier, pinkier bits of the liver showing up.

It soon ran out though. Not bad actually! (this coming from someone who is usally strongly anti-liver). Much better than the sandpaper texture of chicken livers :P . But a very expensive luxury that I don't think I'll buy again anytime in the near future.

1 Comments:

  • ew...that does NOT look appetising...but at least now i know what foei gras is after watching those episodes of Iron Chef. bleh...yuckz O.o 

    Posted by liann

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 23, 2005 2:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home