elb's hovel of thoughts

Sunday, May 29, 2005

'Hello, can you take a picture for us....?'

Earlier, while on the way to the gym, I noticed a small group of tourists looking around anxiously. The man caught my eye, and approached me.

'Hello, can you take a picture for us....?'

I nodded and gave a smile.

He handed to me his SLR camera, and gestured to me:

'You look through here, and press the button here. And oh, please don't include those bicycles'

After making sure the aperture was correct (he had already set it to the correct setting), I gave the routine 'one two three' bit and snapped the shutter, and gave a thumbs up.

As I continued to walk along the river, I mused to myself: Why does every tourist who apprehends me for aid in getting their perfect holiday picture need to tell me where to look (be it the viewfinder of a typical lens camera or the LCD viewer of a digicam) and where to press the button? Doesn't everyone know the basics of operating a camera?

Then I wondered further: Perhaps they just wanted to make sure that the picture comes out well. Especially if its a film camera where they can't look back at the previous pictures on the fly. Or do they not trust others to know how their camera works? Any opinions? Would you entrust your once-in-a-lifetime picture to a strange on the street?

3 Comments:

  • Not everyone knows how technology works, there's no harm in making sure the person knows how to operate your piece of technology. Afterall, not all cameras are the same, and not all people used a camera before. 

    Posted by traveller

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:20:00 pm  

  • trav: well, I have handled both digital and film versions of the compact and SLR cameras, as well as pocket cameras, and as far as I know, all of them have the obligatory 'click here to take a picture' button.

    On numerous occasions I have simply asked strangers to help take my picture, and none of them had difficulties. 

    Posted by pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:24:00 pm  

  • Not everyone knows how to operate every camera.

    Nuff said :) It's better to be clear than to be sorry :) 

    Posted by EF

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, June 27, 2005 7:25:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home