elb's hovel of thoughts

Monday, May 23, 2005

Forgotten food

Yesterday night when I was rummaging through my fridge I chanced upon a packet of yoghurt which I had left inside almost two weeks ago. Thankfully it was still edible! Then I remembered that I had some sambal belacan inside a container, which I haven't used for a long time. And a container of some herring preserved in a dill marinade. Erk! I wondered how on earth could I have forgotten about the sambal which I brought with me; its difficult to come across good sambal belacan here.

But it wasn't as bad as the last time when I was staying in student accomodation. Back then, it would be common to come across packets of liquefied salads a couple of months past the expiry date. Disgusting! Or other vegetables while had been totally forgotten about and were then rotting.

The problem was that nobody wanted to touch and to throw away the items not belonging to them. Who knows, maybe the owner had purposely let his/ her food to 'ferment' for a while before consumption! But of course when the stench got to you the offensive food had to go, no question!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home