elb's hovel of thoughts

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Beware engineering students!

If you are from the UK/ EU, you now need a minimum of MEng / taught MSc to be registered under the Malaysian Board of Engineers. Fucking bullshit, when local Malaysians only need a Bachelors. The difference in degree quality is bad enough, but the level as well? It used to be that you need a UK BEng to be sufficiently qualified.

The excuse? They register engineers in accordance with the standards required to be registered as an engineer at the country where the degree is issued.

Dammit dammit dammit. I need to change my plans now, just when I thought I could wiggle myself out of exams after my January finals (looks like its no longer a finals anymore *eyerolls*). And I'm getting all this when supposed to graduate this July? Hah.

They better pay me like triple what they pay local graduates, with all the time and hard earned money invested and better qualification. Shit.

4 Comments:

  • Could you qualify to stay on the the UK to work as an engineer, instead of returning to KL to do your professionals? That's how some people get over the law loophole - you can't practice law if you do, say, a 3 year degree in law and business studies in the UK. So they stay on in the UK, qualify, THEN return to KL. 

    Posted by petra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:54:00 pm  

  • getting a work permit here as a professional is really difficult, the exceptions being investment banking, medicine. the company has to prove that there is no one else in the entire EU capable of doing the job that you want before the UK government will issue a work permit, which is even more difficult with a BEng as one would more 'underqualified' in comparison with an MEng.

    i think I'll be better off doing an MSc in engineering (my mum doesn't like the idea of having spend RM300k on me and being recognized as a 'technician') or something. gah. 

    Posted by patrick

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, January 20, 2005 1:38:00 am  

  • plus anyway, the BEng is recognized and accredited here, but preference is given to MEng holders by companies of course. the only major difference is that I won't be able to become chartered without having an Masters 

    Posted by patrick

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, January 20, 2005 1:49:00 am  

  • Hahaha, perhaps they want to push you into academics? But yeah, I feel for you, man. 

    Posted by Silencers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, January 21, 2005 12:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home