elb's hovel of thoughts

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Speedlite 580EX: E-TTL II/ AF assist problem? Need Canon users help!

If there are any Canon users out there who use a 580EX, I have a problem which needs serious attention. My problem is illustrated in the picture taken below:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
TTL mode? I should be seeing E-TTL, not TTL dammit!!

So yes, that's the problem. E-TTL is somehow missing from my copy of the 580EX. Pressing the mode button (as the instruction manual says) cycles between TTL, M and Multi modes. No E-TTL was seen, and my 430EX failed to trigger when I tried to slave the 580EX and 430EX together. I also checked the custom functions to ensure that the E-TTL capability was switched on. Incidentally my 430EX has no problems with E-TTL.

Also, the auto assist AF beam does not appear to be working! Gahhh!

Is there something I have done wrong? Or have I somehow gotten a bad copy? Please advice if anyone can help me! :(

2 Comments:

  • Hi!

    Clean contacts on camera.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 18, 2008 12:21:00 pm  

  • ETTL is only available when your flash can properly communicate with your camera. Clean the contacts an it should fix both your problems. if the focus assist still does not work you should check to see that you are in one shot focus mode.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home