elb's hovel of thoughts

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Baklava

A couple of days ago, I bought some pieces of dessert from the pastry counter of one of the supermarkets here. It was surprisingly heavier than what I had anticipated, and that meant I had to pay more (it was being sold according to weight).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
There were actually six pieces. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

At any rate, I have difficulties pinpointing the exact origins of this yummy pastry: it probably originated in the Balkans or in ancient Russia, judging by its name. Looking it up gives me contradicting answers; some people claim that its a Turkish creation while others insist that its Balkan. Who cares? Let's eat!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It consists of basically three layers: The filling at the middle, and layers of filo pastry on the top and bottom. The base is then soaked in honey or syrup or something similar. This particular baklava was made using pistachio filling; some recipes call for walnuts, while rose water syrup (no, not your Rose cordial like back in Malaysia) was used. It was also dusted with some pistachio powder, I believe, looking at the green stuff scattered all around.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Burp! (sorry about the skewed focus, I was enjoying myself ;) )

Its good stuff, if not too sweet.

4 Comments:

  • Looks Good. Where is this ?  

    Posted by 8dee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 05, 2005 3:11:00 am  

  • the pictures made me go craving for a sweet something right now! yum! 

    Posted by ted

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 05, 2005 1:20:00 pm  

  • that looks delish..*mouth waters* .. ahaha.. doubt that it can be found in msia tho.. darn! 

    Posted by lingerz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 05, 2005 5:43:00 pm  

  • 8dee: I happened to purchase these little bits of goodness from Waitrose, the foodshops of John Lewis, a rather upmarket departmental store (Debenhams is cheap compared with it).

    ted: I put on some weight after eating it and some fudge. Be careful!

    lingerz: Maybe if you carefully, you might :) 

    Posted by pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, June 05, 2005 9:34:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home