elb's hovel of thoughts

Monday, September 13, 2004

Finally, Tolkien!

I have finally landed a copy of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Anyone who knows and has seen my mini-library would be taken aback. Somehow most of the time I just never land my hands on the most popular of books until at a much later date, and the hype for the past four or so years as they made a movie trilogy out of it pushed away the desire even more.

Its a book that I must say I have been dying to read since my early days of secondary school, and only two weeks ago I walked into MPH Subang Jaya, doing particularly nothing but wanting to look around out of boredom.

And there it was, a large cardboard cut out with several variations screaming at me. A large part of me was decidedly embarassed to want to buy it now especially after all that hype generated by the release of the movie trilogy (I didn't want to be seen as those who felt like getting the book only after watching the movie); but desire to fulfill an unfulfilled pubescent wish and to compare both the Works of Art (literature and film) prevailed. I picked the copy which has all three volumes in it.

Now if you excuse me, time to get down to reading all 1000++ pages of it. Not that long, the longest I've ever read is in excess of 4000 pages. Soon I can proudly claim to be in the part of the English-speaking world who has actually read it.

1 Comments:

  • i've always been one to encourage my friends to read more, and i've pretty much given up on any of them actually finishing the lotr tril ('it's just way too long, rin!!'... they whined...)

    ... so i'll settle for motivating complete strangers to actually finish reading one of my all time faves. have fun and good luck!!

    By Blogger zyrin, at Thursday, September 23, 2004 8:37:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home