elb's hovel of thoughts

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Cheated of 'Original' DVDs

While at Times Square (Berjaya), we chanced upon a video store somewhere. I can't describe it here because I have no idea where the hell things are located at BTS due to its funky layout, but its somewhere along where they have this bazaar thingy. Somewhere around this area:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So anyway, I was dying to watch the fourth season of 24. I have managed to somehow abstain from it for the past few months, in the aim of watching the season in a marathon run. And guess what, they had 24!

Hence I asked him how much it would cost.

Ah Beng: 90 ringgit. (he later claimed he said 95 ringgit, I don't know if he bullshitted me or whether I misheard.)
Me: Original?
AB: Of course
M: Oh okay. I'll be back later

-Fast forward several hours-

M: *Picks up box* I would like this, please.
*AB walks to a cardboard box* *Red flag alert*
M: Eh, how come the DVDs are like that? I've bought them before and they come in a nice foldable storage space.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
How my Seasons 2 and 3 boxsets look like.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Look at this shit, it sucks in comparison. I later found out that the originals sold here are packed like that. Phhft.


AB colleague: Different company. *Red flag*
My mind: What different company? What the hell?

AB puts the DVDs inside the casings and into the box, and I gingerly pay for it. We go out, have a little discussion, and I return to ask AB to play the DVD for me. It looked to play normal, so I accepted it. He refused to give me a receipt. I almost wanted to return the fucking boxset there and then, but my desire to want to watch it somehow overrode logic.

A short while ago, I decide to start watching the first few episodes, so I popped the first DVD in. Holy fuck, the opening cinematic looked familiar! So I repeated it, and my face turned red as I recognized the opening cinematic from season 3. And so were the pictures used for the main menus, I recognized almost every single one of them. I shouldn't have been able to if I hadn't watched season 4 yet. WTF. I popped in more DVDs at random. The season 3 opener played and more season 3 pictures were seen!! And on top of that, some of the episodes opened with some TV logo clearly seen on the top left of the screen. KNNCCBMCH WHERE GOT ORIGINAL. And at least one DVD isn't working at all ($)&!*(#%&*!#%&, and the quality isn't what I have seen of the previous seasons.

I took a closer look at the boxset. URGH.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Mistakes mistakes mistakes all over!

The Complete Four Season? What the heck? I should have seen that earlier! But I did not. And what the hell is that DTS logo doing on the spine of the plastic boxes? A check at Borders a while later showed that the four covers would form an image together. But this? What the hell!!

Take a look inside the box:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with the DVD print? And about how the DVDs are simply kept like that? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am NOT happy. I want the original original. Maybe the AB thinks that all that I want to see are just the main clips. Fuck no! I love these series too much that I will give it the support it rightly deserves. I am going back in a day or so, and I hope I can resolve this and get my money back, receipt or no. Lesson learnt on my part though; it was too cheap to be true. Bah.

Update: I managed to get a return on it, in exchange for several typical DVD9 discs. I have also gotten my hands on a proper original copy of Season 4 from the UK.

6 Comments:

  • Huh? Private DVD got the original sticker meh? 

    Posted by wongpk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:01:00 pm  

  • A lesson learnt here. Nobody should ever buy 'original' in Malaysia. This is why I am sticking with Amazon UK. 

    Posted by Jon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:12:00 pm  

  • D'OH.. The RM90 price should have been a dead giveaway. Where the hell can you can ONE original American DVD, much less a boxed set of THREE-FOUR for less than RM40-RM80?

    Enjoy the DVDs as much you can, you already bought it. I'm sure you still can exchange that defective DVD with the seller, it's common. 

    Posted by aw3

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:37:00 am  

  • You DO NOT get original box set with 6 and more CDs for RM95. It usually costs around RM100 over (nearly hitting the RM200 mark). Sorry to say this but you walked into a con. :p 

    Posted by Mei

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:38:00 am  

  • As many have said, there ain't no original boxsets in Malaysia selling for that price. The only original you could get at that price are single DVD 9 movies. Probably you should've checked at places like Speedy or other authentic video outlets first.

    Oh yeah, do original DVDs come with that Malaysia 'hologram' sticker..? I know the VCDs do. 

    Posted by dannyFoo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:10:00 am  

  • wongpk: shrugs, I must confess I'm not entirely familiar with how DVD originals work here.

    jon: Well they only released Season 4 after I got to KL, and I was hoping that I could watch it before I go back next week and get busy with university and all that.

    aw3: I think that I'd rather throw the DVDs away into the trashcan.

    mei: Well I'm still going to try to get my money back!

    danny: Speedy at Lot10 didn't have Season 4. :( 

    Posted by pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:09:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home