elb's hovel of thoughts

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Gastronomic soft spots

I have a weakness for seafood. Like salmon. However not just salmon in general - the soft spot is for cold smoked salmon and raw salmon. And not to mention salmon roe! Not to forget eel. Whether grilled Japanese style or a warm piece of smoked eel placed in a soft roll.

Or how about mantis prawns, ghost fish (soon hock yu, just in case you were wondering!), and mud crabs and soft shell crabs (fattening though the way they are cooked) and scallops and sea cucumber (when cooked properly) abalone and sharks fin (please don't shoot me :P) and jellyfish.

I have a weakness for snails. Especially when baked with tons of garlic and cheese.

I have a weakness for beef carpaccio. If you don't know what it is, it is paper thin slices of raw beef, usually with olive oil and parmesan cheese. Yum!

I have a weakness for pork with crackling. The Asian equivalent is called 'siew yoke'. Or how about pork cooked in black sauce? Or even better, bak kut teh (cuts of pork meat and offal cooked in a herbal 'tea') ?

I have a weakness for Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The best ever doughnuts you could get!

I have a weakness for good delicious curry. The kind that you can soak some rice with, served on a banana leaf. The kind you eat with your hands and enter heaven for a brief moment. Or a good thick beef rendang to go with bryani rice.

I have other more common weaknesses with most people - junk food, french fries, burgers etc. Just to comfort those of you who think I have a weird (and probably expensive) taste in food ;) But of course, being able to afford them is another story altogether. Dammit I'm hungry.

What kind of food do you have a weakness for? Put it up and let us know! :)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home