elb's hovel of thoughts

Thursday, July 07, 2005

London posts - so what?

A few of us bloggers are chatting in mIRC, watching as London pings flow in at an earnest pace. And we are thinking, so what? Most of these pings are just copy and paste, and we can get something better at BBC or CNN. By the time you ping about it, it is no longer 'breaking news' as a couple claim.

And most of you who blog about it aren't even in London, let alone in the UK, and are not affected by the blast in any way at all. Did you even know half of the names of the stations that were blasted before this incident? (King's Cross doesn't count)

The majority of us don't even give your post a second look. Once we've seen one (or read BBC/ CNN/ some news page first), we've seen them all. ONLY if you experienced the bombings in some way should you blog about it. But who am I to tell you want to blog about?

Let me tell you something more interesting than your copy and paste entries. My friend went down to London early this morning to pick up his folk. I have not been able to contact him yet; his mobile is mysteriously switched off. My folk are due in tomorrow as well, I am concerned about what will happen over the next few hours. One of the blasts occured near a place I am considering living in later this year - and if this is what will be happening continually, I will reconsider my decision to study at London.

See what I am talking about? Same goes for the Olympics etc.

Update: My friend and his family have made it safely to their destination after getting stuck in Central London for 8 hours - they passed through the Edgware St Underground bomb site 5 minutes before it happened.

6 Comments:

  • All of London's mobile network is shut down. That is why you can't call him. I am trying to get hold of my aunt too who frequent King's Cross. 

    Posted by Jon Choo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:00:00 am  

  • there goes my plan of owning 4 train stations... damn those bombs.. king's cross is definitely not worth £200 now. on a more serious note, phone connection IS getting a little bit better. i live in london. and even i don't really know where half those places which were bombed. but cheers london is a fun place . u don't get these kind of things in kl do u ? :p 

    Posted by livingintheuk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:16:00 pm  

  • Gotta agree to that. :)

    Nice to see you on irc. 

    Posted by Kenny

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:31:00 pm  

  • Glad to see you post , which means you and your families are allright then . Seen anything flying around ? :D 

    Posted by YungJie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 08, 2005 1:31:00 am  

  • jon: managed to get through eventually in the afternoon. all safe and sound :)

    livingintheuk: well if you're new or hardly travel, well...

    kenny: pleasure's mine :)

    yungjie: yehh I'm fine. I think I saw a couple of flies. 

    Posted by pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 08, 2005 11:06:00 pm  

  • WOW!! glad to note ur fren & the family are save. :) 

    Posted by Yvy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home